In 2006, Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI-IMRB) survey revealed that the Internet users in India reached 37 million in the month of September 2006. During the same period the number of active users* rose to 25 million.
The above are excerpts from an article from my blog titled Internet and Sports written way back in 2008, which can be found here http://sportsnexus.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/internet-and-sports/ Things have changed ever since. Cut to 2014, six years later internet penetration has shot up and mobile internet is on a steady growth.
In a sports crazy country like India sports content consumption online is at its highest point. Star sports has made digital a part of their revamp and distribution strategy and with properties like IPL, EPL etc. they are getting a considerable growth and hopefully ROI with their digital push.
Other sports broadcasters like Ten Sports, portals like Yahoo and specialised content providers like Cricbuzz have been the front runners in digital content push and with an increased Internet userbase (Desktop and Mobile) these channels are reaping the dividends in terms of subscribers etc.
Example of how Star Sports is promoting IPL on television
I have put together an info graph on Facts and figures from 2013 on Online sports consumption in India. Following are some really interesting learnings from the info graph:
1. India has 71 million internet users and numbers have grown 31% since 2012.
2. Sports sites reach a quarter of web audiences in india.
3. Sports fans in India spend an average of 29.6 mins on various sports sites.
4. ESPN was the leader in attracting maximum sports traffic followed by Star, Yahoo etc.
5. 25 to 34 age category of Men was most active users clocking up almost 36 mins time spent on sports sites.
6. In Females the age category of 45-54 and 55+ together clocked up a cool combined average of 40 mins spent on sports.
Infographic on Online Sports consumption in India in 2013